I hope you're all having a happy new year so far. I didn't exactly make any resolutions this year (I never keep them), but I've been doing some thinking about who I am vs. who I want to be vs. who I don't want to be.
A lot of us have ingrained habits and personality traits that we don't really think about or pay attention to. Whether or not people can change has been up for debate for years, but I do think people can change if they really want to...If they're truly willing to do the work of paying attention to themselves and reprogramming their minds. It's obviously much easier said than done, but I think all of us change no matter what. It's up to you if you want to change for better or worse.
So over the last few days, I have been trying to simply pay more attention to myself. Not make any drastic changes. Not epically plot to re-invent myself. Not tear myself apart over the things I don't like as much. Just listening and paying attention and seeing what I discover.
Here are the parts of myself I'd like to see less of...
- The part of me that tries to resentfully will others into changing, even though the only behavior I can control is my own
- The part of me that stays quiet about the things I believe in
- The part of me that avoids eye contact with strangers instead of smiling at them
- The part of me that chooses money over passion
- The part of me that spends more time thinking than doing
- The part of me that assumes defeat before I've even tried
- The part of me that questions my needs
- The part of me that runs away from fear
And here are the parts of myself I'd like to see more of...
- The part of me that asks for help when I need it
- The part of me that laughs more and doesn't take everything so seriously
- The part of me that encourages others, even when I have a hard enough time encouraging myself
- The part of me that says "yes" more often
- The part of me that says "no" more often
- The part of me that stays dedicated to the people and things I love
- The part of me that faces my problems instead of avoiding them
- The part of me that uses my scars and demons to help others overcome their own
- The part of me that works to make myself proud instead of making others proud
- The part of me that gets out of my head and into the world
Cheers to a new year and a