Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Nightmares

I've been having some super unsettling dreams lately---not going to school naked, falling off a cliff, or being chased by a serial rapist and/or murderer unsettling, but unsettling in a more realistic way. I've been having dreams that are making me hyper-aware of my insecurities, flaws, and basically everything that I frequently find myself ignoring and deflecting---dreams that open up that little box in the darkest corner of my subconscious and let the contents of that little box go nuts inside my brain while I'm in my most vulnerable state.

It's an awful way to start your day. Who wants to wake up with a heart or mind full of anger, depression or fear? When you wake up with those feelings, they have a way of following you around and butting into your day-to-day routines and interactions.

"It was just a dream," most people will say. But what if your dreams have glimmers of truth?

Maybe you had a dream about your significant other breaking up with you, and you wake up with the reminder that you don't feel good enough for him or her.

Maybe you had a dream about your father throwing insults at you, and you wake up with the knowledge that he already does and will more than likely continue to do so.

Maybe you had a dream about a bully threatening you, and you wake up with the fear that threats probably aren't too far behind the bullying.

Maybe you had a dream about being fired from your job, and you wake up with your already existing feelings of professional inadequacy.

I'm actually really fascinated by these types of dreams. It's like our brain, heart or soul is trying to talk to us about the one thing we choose to ignore and distract ourselves from. It's like the back contents of our mind shoot to the front the second we put our guard down. It's like a little cry for help, a planting of a seed the size of an invisible elephant, or maybe just a cruel little reminder of what we feel the greatest fear and insecurity towards in our lives.

Either way, I think it's time to start paying attention while I'm awake.

<3 Madison      

15 comments:

  1. Madison I am really facinated by your current blog regarding dreams. I often waken up in a cold sweat imagining that I am late for various appointments etc. After reading ur blog I am glad to see that out there, there are other individuals with similiar feelings. D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of my dreams are absolute nonsense but every once in a while I'll have a dream that really stays with me through the day. I tend to remember my dreams in detail too, which doesn't help letting go of the negative ones. I agree that those ones are little messages from our subconscious, I've been able to learn and progress through my personal issues regarding certain family members because of dreams I had about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I've also been having dreams about personal issues, and I wake up with the reminder that I need to face them before they get worse. That's pretty much the inspiration behind this entire post.

      Thanks for sharing. (And I also have dreams that are absolute nonsense sometimes. Haha)

      Delete
  3. Madison Sonnier i am facinated in ur blog re dreams. I wonder what sort of dreams you have that you find are absolute nonsence? D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't really remember a specific one off the top of my head at the moment, but I think we all have dreams that don't make any sense. They make funny stories to tell later. :-)

      Delete
  4. Madison when you say your dreams make "funny stories" to tell later, do you mean funny stories ie that are hilarious, or funny stories which you find would be embarassing to tell anyone about. Davey in Glasgow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just funny/ridiculous stories to tell your friends, you know?

      Delete
  5. Madison I realise that this might be a slightly cheeky thing to do, but would you care to give some examples of the "funny/ridiculous stores" that you mean? Dave in Glasgow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A somewhat recent one was that my brother got married and his cat was the ring bearer...But I can't remember any others at the moment.

      Delete
  6. Did u reveal to your brother the dream you had about his "wedding"?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool...I've had all mixed up dreams, ones where I am sitting on a balloon which is floating in the sky, one where I actually learnt to drive a car, one where I qualified for discus throw in school which happened later and one I keep having about missing my bus or exam....

    Some of these dreams have actual meanings which can be googled - http://www.dreammoods.com/commondreams/naked-dreams.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Madison, I came across this link about how we can analyse dreams. I am sure you will like it - http://dreamhawk.com/dream-encyclopedia/processing-dreams/

    ReplyDelete