Wednesday, May 28, 2014

17 quotes about feeling different, finding your place in the world, and discovering your self-worth

Sometimes I feel glaringly different from most people, which makes it nearly impossible to find people who truly "get" me.

Sometimes I feel incredibly lost, confused and scared and don't really know where I belong anymore.

Sometimes I feel perplexed over why my existence makes a real difference in the world.

If you can relate to any of the above statements, maybe the following 17 quotes will comfort you as much as they have comforted me:

1. "The point is to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer." ~ Rainer Maria Rilke

2. "You alone are enough. You have nothing to prove to anyone." ~ Maya Angelou

3. "More important than the quest for certainty is the quest for clarity." ~ Francois Gautier

4. "What sets you apart can sometimes feel like a burden, and it's not. A lot of the time, it's what makes you great." ~ Emma Stone

5. "You have to leave the city of your comfort zone and go into the wilderness of your intuition. What you'll discover will be wonderful. What you'll discover is yourself." ~ Alan Alda

6. "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." ~ Henry David Thoreau

7. "I believe if I knew where I was going, I'd lose my way." ~ Christina Perri

8. "You are not a drop in the ocean. You are the entire ocean in a drop." ~ Rumi

9. "We grew up learning to cheer on the underdog because we see ourselves in them." ~ Shane Koyczan

10. "To be nobody but yourself in a world doing its best to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight." ~ E.E. Cummings

11. "What a gloomy thing, not to know the address of one's soul." ~ Victor Hugo

12. "I don't entirely approve of some of the things I have done, or am, or have been. But I'm me. God knows, I'm me." ~ Elizabeth Taylor

13. "I'm a creep. I'm a weirdo. What the hell am I doing here? I don't belong here." ~ Radiohead

14. "You have to be the bravest person in the world to go out every day, being yourself when no one likes who you are." ~ Matthew Dicks

15. "I don't believe people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." ~ Joseph Campbell

16. "Nobody can say anything better than you can, because you have your own story to tell, your own life to live, and your own lens through which you see the world." ~ Ashlee Gadd

17. "It's okay to not know where you're going. For some people, direction is a vision, a plan, an exact idea of where they want to go and how. I admire those people, but I'm not one of them. Rarely in my life have I known exactly what would fulfill me in the future." ~ Lori Deschene

<3 Madison

2 comments: