Thursday, August 17, 2017

Sorry for being the writer who disappeared.

I read this wonderful and beautifully detailed article the other day, and it gave me a thought: a lot of really talented and promising writers/bloggers mysteriously disappear or fade into the background, don't they?

Yes, you could say I am one of them.

When I first dove into writing, I was all over the place. I was featured on many of my favorite websites, and my posts garnered a good bit of attention. I published my own eBook, and my work has appeared in print four times. I freelanced for a variety of clients and websites. I was full of passion and ideas. I felt like I had found my place in the world and nothing could stop me.

But somewhere down the line, I started to fade away. My life changed, and my attitude changed with it. Writing got hard, and making money off of it was even harder. I got discouraged and weak. I had my heart broken, and sometimes I wonder if that experience was my final muse.

I have a hard time pinpointing exactly what went wrong, but all signs seem to point to my ongoing struggles with anxiety and depression. Although these struggles do not define me, they are very much a part of my day-to-day existence. It's hard to write when I'm engulfed by my insecurities, apathy, self-hatred, and a looming sense of monotony. It's hard to utilize my time when I waste so much of it simply trying to put one foot in front of the other and have a normal day.

So I disappear a lot. Along with the hoards of other talented artists who have so much to express and so few mental and emotional tools to do so. It's a paradox.

And guess what? Nearly every single writer/blogger I've followed, looked up to, and/or been inspired by over the last 6 years has disappeared in some capacity. Some of them have given up. Some of them have chosen a different path. Some of them have lost their way. And some of them are being held captive by the beast that is mental illness.

I'm sorry for being the writer who disappeared. I'm sorry if you have clicked over to my blog to find nothing new when you hoped to find otherwise. I'm sorry if I have disappointed or confused you with my frequent dry spells. I'm sorry if I have not lived up to the version of myself you see when you read my writing. I'm sorry if I have failed to provide you with the doses of inspiration you have come to depend on.

I write this in hopes that you will understand.

Sometimes I have a really hard time unlocking the best version of myself. Sometimes it takes almost every bit of energy I have to simply make the bed, wash the dishes, run errands, feed myself, clean myself, enjoy myself (never mind write). Sometimes I think I'm the worst and everything I do sucks. Sometimes I can't show up.

Please read the article I shared above, for the writer of it explains this better than I ever could.

<3 Madison

5 comments:

  1. What a profound post. Thank you deeply for sharing this.
    Why? I love the truth, and sometimes it takes a lot of love to be able to do the truth.
    I wouldn't be surprised if in writing this you went through what I think of as a cold grey place. Personally, I have found just being willing to stand in that place is like taking a cold shower. But after staying there for just a little while I always feel better, clearer, even refreshed. I can move on.
    I hope you experienced something like that as you wrote this.
    For me the most powerful thing we can do is be 'with' where we are rather than try to be where we are not. In doing that we are doing truth and love.
    Love to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This almost brought tears to my eyes. Thank you so much, and love to you too!

      Delete
  2. You don't owe anything to anyone other than yourself. :) You are allowed to disappear for a while or forever. You are unique and beautiful and whatever you're going through, know that you're not alone. Love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I'm just reading your blog for the first time, I think it's beautiful, and I wish you would not feel so sorry for things all the time. I am exactly the same way, but I think we feel less pain and guilt when we let go of feeling sorry for things all the time. People should be thrilled that you showed up, not angry that you didn't.

    ReplyDelete