Tuesday, June 12, 2012

You are a somebody

You know what I hate? When people say stuff like, "I want to be somebody. I don't want to be a nobody my whole life."

First of all....Huh?  

Second of all, EVERYBODY is a somebody. I don't believe in calling anybody a nobody. It goes against everything I stand for. 

Society has a way of shedding a bad light on people who are dubbed as "ordinary." People who work medial jobs, people who aren't rich, famous, or taking over the world, etc. 

"You can do better than that." People say. "Don't be average. Don't be a loser. Make something of yo self!" 

Gahhh! This bugs me so much, and I don't know why I haven't addressed it yet. This is the exact reason why so many people feel like they don't measure up. They tell themselves, "I can do better than this. I'm not good enough. I'm not appreciated. I'm a loser. Blah blah blah." 

You guys. I want you to think about a job title or a position in life that you think most people tend to look down on. Maybe it's being a janitor. Or a fast food restaurant employee. Or a stay-at-home mom who does "nothing" all day. (PSH. Seriously people?!?!?) Now think about what we would do without these people. We would be surrounded by trash and messiness, we wouldn't have delicious french fries (gasp), and the world would be full of helpless children with parents who are too busy to take care of them.  

Everybody is a somebody. Everybody plays some sort of role in the world, no matter how big or small. 

Don't be ashamed of the role you play. (Unless you're a serial killer or you eat babies or something. You guys know what I mean. -_-) 

Sure, it's okay to dream big or reach for something that makes you feel more fulfilled. But some people are fine and dandy right where they are, and that's perfectly (more than perfectly) okay too. 

Last week, I found out that one of the janitors who worked at my high school passed away awhile back. I was so sad. I cried for days. He was the happiest, sweetest, most fun-loving man ever, and everyone at my high school knew who he was. He was always smiling, singing, and asking people about their day. He left his mark and will always be remembered as a beloved member of my high school community...And HE was "just a janitor." Doesn't matter much, does it? Of course not.  

Only YOU can define what makes you worthy. And I swear the list of reasons for your worth is ridiculously long. It's sad that so many people don't realize that. 

<3 Madison 

4 comments: