Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Eliminating the "I could always just quit" mentality

"If this opportunity is too challenging or involves too much hard work, I could always just quit."

I don't know about you guys, but I have a bad habit of thinking the above thought. It's like a safety net or emergency exit I formulate in my mind..."If this gets too hard, I could always just quit."

When I do this, I basically consider the idea of quitting before I've even started.

It's one thing to decide in the midst of a new opportunity that it's not really right for you after all. It's quite another to think about quitting before you think about your capabilities as a resilient human to pull off whatever it is you're trying to pull off despite the challenges and hard work that may and probably will arise.

I've noticed that whenever I truly give myself a chance and commit to not quitting, I handle conflict and new opportunities exceptionally well.

Maybe you just landed a new job that seemingly involves an overwhelming amount of pressure.

Maybe you're moving to a new city for one reason or another, and you have no idea what's going to happen once you get there.

Maybe you're having an ongoing conflict with a friend who really means a lot to you, and you're wondering if it's time to walk away even though that's the last thing you want to do.

Once you start something or at least somewhat commit to something, you can't just decide that you're going to quit. Especially if you know that's not what you really want to do anyway---if you know that you would regret quitting and mentally harass yourself about it for a long time.

I'm a recovering quitter. My tendency to quit everything kept me standing in one place for a long time, wondering why I never got anywhere. The truth is, I still have a tendency to quit certain things that maybe I shouldn't be giving up on so soon.

Everyone will inevitably be tempted to quit at some point in their life. Quit school, quit their jobs, quit their relationships, quit their dreams.

But please don't quit yet. It's not over until your soul says it's over.

<3 Madison

p.s. Here are some additional resources in case you need a little extra push to keep going:

http://keltiecolleen.buzznet.com/photos/dontgiveup/
http://tinybuddha.com/blog/learning-is-a-series-of-steps-7-tips-to-master-a-new-skill/
http://www.lovegrowsdesign.com/2013/05/answer-to-prayer-slap-in-face.html#.Ucm7TPlJMmU


   

2 comments: