Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Unbearable Lightness


I just finished reading Unbearable Lightness by Portia de Rossi and it was THE most raw, honest, and brutally exposed book I've ever read. I don't think I've ever cried while reading a book before. I've cried during movies, songs, American Idol eliminations...But never books. Not that I can remember anyway. But there were parts in this book that literally made me emotional because it was so heartbreaking.

Although I've never suffered from an eating disorder or been scrutinized under the public eye, I could sort of relate to this book. I think any person who has ever dealt with low self-esteem, loneliness, an overwhelming desire to be accepted, a fear of being judged, or just a daily battle with the voice in your head that tells you you're not good enough can relate to this book. There were many moments where I would read a line and think, "Wow. I totally get that. I know how that feels."

I won't go into any details about my own mental and personal struggles, but I do want to say that Portia is EXTREMELY brave to be able to have written such an honest and exposed novel and put it out for everyone to read. I KNOW it had to have taken blood, sweat, and tears to write this, and especially to publish it. It deserves to be a bestseller.

This book is brilliantly written and it will teach you a lot about yourself, your body, love, and self-acceptance. I'm glad I read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment