Friday, January 13, 2012

Tiny Buddha book discussion: Day 5

"Freedom implies doing what you want when you want, but sometimes we just can't get what we want. While it might seem logical to stress about all the things we can't do and have, and spend our time scheming to eventually do and have them, this leaves us with very little time to create the situations that actually would give us the feelings we're chasing.


The things we want all come down to feelings---whether you want to feel proud, engaged, connected, fulfilled, satisfied, or challenged, and through it all, happy. Those feelings don't only exist in tomorrow. They're not exclusive to the targets you've imagined, the goals you've visualized, or the narrow definition of freedom you've established in your own head and heart.


True freedom is freedom from your own self-imposed limitations. It's the ability to accept situations as they are, in all their abundance and all their lack, and focus on the abundance."




Wow, what a nugget. Really really really think about what she's saying here. The point of this whole excerpt really just comes down to accepting what is, a topic explored throughout most of the book.

We're always chasing after what's next instead of focusing on what's happening right now. We're always stressing about the future instead of enjoying the present. We're always moaning about what we don't have instead of focusing on what we do have.

There are lots of things that I don't have right now and there are lots of things that I haven't accomplished yet. While I'm aware of these things and slowly making progress towards getting and accomplishing them, I make a conscious effort not to waste all my time complaining about it. I have an awesome habit of appreciating and enjoying what I do have. And I really do appreciate those things.

With that said, I've definitely slipped up at times. Example: "AM I EVER GOING TO GET MY DRIVER'S LICENSE? I'M NINETEEN FOR GOODNESS SAKE. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME? WHY DO I SUCK SO BADLY AT OPERATING A MOTORIZED VEHICLE? I'M GOING TO BE A PEDESTRIAN FOR THE REST OF MY SORRY LIFE."

While I can't always go where I need or want to go, I do have two legs. There is a Sonic three minutes from my house (three minutes by car, fifteen minutes by foot) and my brother and I walk there all the time for ice cream or a milkshake. That is something that I really enjoy doing and when the weather is nice, I would much rather walk than drive. Also, there is a hospital within walking distance of my house as well...Just an observation. If I was bleeding to death or having a stroke, I highly doubt I'd be able to just walk myself to the hospital. (That's what 911 is for) But my point is that I've looked around while sitting at Sonic with my brother and noticed how many places are around that area. There are several different things that I can enjoy without a car if I take the time to notice those things.

So today, take the time to notice what you do have, rather than what you don't. What you have accomplished, rather than what you haven't. As Lori said above, don't limit yourself. True freedom really is taking the time to look around and set yourself free from the chains you put around your own ankles.

<3 Madison

No comments:

Post a Comment