Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The difference between giving up and changing your mind

I used to justify my tendency to easily give up on things by saying stuff like, "I just change my mind a lot." And that was true. I did change my mind a lot, and I still do. But there are some things I gave up on that I wish I hadn't.

I try my best to avoid regret, and I generally don't spend too much time looking over my shoulder and wishing I had done things differently 3, 5, 7 years ago. But today, I just wanted to explore the difference between giving up on a dream/goal and changing your mind about a dream/goal.

Like I stated earlier, I change my mind a lot. But over the past couple of years, there are certain things that I have surprisingly not changed my mind about. These days, when something really matters to me, I fight for it with everything I am.

If you change your mind about something that really matters to you, that's giving up.

If you change your mind about something that no longer feels quite right and doesn't make your soul sing anymore, that's changing your mind. And I just wanted to let you know that it's okay to change your mind.

Sometimes I make goals and then rinse them down the metaphorical drain within weeks. I always seem to feel bad about that---Like I owed those goals my willingness to follow through no matter what.

But things change, and that's okay. People change. Minds change. Hearts change. Paths change.

You might think you want something, and you might even put a lot into it. But if you wake up one morning with a tug in your heart that's trying to guide you in a different direction, or if you wake up one morning with a vague sense that you don't really want what you thought you wanted after all, it's okay to wipe your slate clean or go in another direction. When it comes to instincts, whether small or large, I say follow them.

Ultimately, your instincts, wants and needs deserve your attention way more than a goal you wrote down two years ago and swore you'd achieve.

One thing I know for sure about life is that it's far from a straight line. We will constantly be taking steps and bounds in every different direction. Two steps forward, nine steps back, three steps sideways, etc.

Don't give up on the things that bring light to your soul. And don't be afraid to let go of the things that no longer do.

<3 Madison

p.s. I launched a new blog last week! Please check it out and spread the word if you like what you see. http://more-to-share-more-to-learn.blogspot.com/    

No comments:

Post a Comment