Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Good books and bad guys

I plowed through this book in two days. Keltie is one of my favorite bloggers, so I was obviously beyond thrilled to start reading her book. It's a beautiful work of raw, honest nonfiction and I am NOT lying when I say I got very emotionally attached while reading it. I know that writing this book must've taken lots of blood, sweat, and tears, considering it's one of the most personal books I've ever read in my life. Keltie shares her joy, pain, struggles, and life realizations and it spans over the course of about ten years of her life. As I read it, I felt her fear, I felt her excitement, and most of all, I felt her pain. This is the part where I go off on another topic. But before I do, this is a good book. I liked it. It didn't let me down. NOW I shall get off topic.

Something I've learned about love so far is that the perfect, cheesy, poetic, wonderful, prince charming of a guy who says things like, "You're the only girl for me" or "I'll never hurt you" or "You have the face of an angel" are the ones who are going to hurt you the most. I'm not one to be stereotypical, but this is my blog and I feel the need to be VERY stereotypical about this. I'm speaking from experience here AND speaking on account of some of the things I read in this book. If guys try to pull the whole "I'm sweet, charming, perfect and want no other girl except you" card....RUN. Don't even walk, sprint, or skip. Run like hell and don't look over your shoulder. Most girls who are hopeless romantics would probably roll their eyes and look over this blog post without a care in the world. But they've had fair warning. Ok. I'm ranting. I'll get to the point. Genuine guys do not act like Disney movie guys. It's an act. Trust me. If a guy is being overly wonderful and almost TOO nice and perfect, I can ALMOST promise you he's treating some other girl (or girls) the exact same way. These are the cheaters, the liars, the users, and the heartbreakers. Again, I AM SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCE. Go for the guy who stays up eating pizza with you until one in the morning. Go for the guy who makes you laugh without trying. Go for the guy who thinks flowers and horse drawn carriages are overrated. Go for the guy who could pass as your brother or best friend or bodyguard. Go for the guy who will threaten to beat the living crap out of anyone who hurts you. THESE are the keepers. Not the guy who is too nice, too innocent, or too wonderful. These are the guys with secrets. These are the guys who will leave you crying on the bathroom floor at 4am. These are the guys who don't deserve you and most importantly, you don't deserve THEM.

Reading this book proved my theory about overly wonderful guys to be even more correct. I love Keltie for sharing such a deep and personal pain with the whole world.

Read this book. Protect your heart. And remember your self worth.

Keltie Colleen's blog: http://highkicksandhighhopes.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

  1. I was going to silently read your posts, but this one made me chuckle and reminded me of this site I had to share with you.

    http://www.heartless-bitches.com/rants/niceguys/niceguys.shtml

    FYI, I too came from Tiny Buddha... and ended up on your blog.

    ReplyDelete