Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Self-love epiphany

I had an epiphany last night. I've kinda sorta heard of it before, but it didn't really sink in until last night while I was comparing myself to someone else and berating myself for not being as cool as her.

I can be really mean to myself sometimes. No one has ever hurt me as much as I've hurt myself. No one has ever torn me down as much I've torn myself down.

I call myself names. I judge myself. I compare myself to other people.

But WHY? I'm supposed to love myself. I'm supposed to nurture myself. My well-being and state of mind should be my first priority, yet I am still mean to myself on a pretty regular basis.

And it got me thinking....Would I ever dream of treating the people I love the way I treat myself? NO. Because I love them. I want them to feel happy and encouraged. I want them to feel good about themselves. I want them to know that I love them and I want to express that love.

Would you call your family members, friends, pets, or love interests the names you call yourself? Would you completely rip them apart and make them feel about as big as a speck of dust?

Then why do it to yourself? You don't deserve to be treated that way any more than your loved ones do.

We absolutely have to give ourselves some credit, you guys. It is miserable and exhausting to make mental lists of everything that is supposedly wrong with us.

There will be days when we get angry at or disappointed in the people that we love, and there may even be days where we kind of hate them a little. But at the end of the day, we will still see them as someone we love and care about, despite what they did to disappoint us.

So it's only normal for you to feel disappointed in yourself sometimes. It's normal for you to occasionally question whether you really love yourself at all. But at the end of the day, you need to realize your self-worth and believe that you are a lovable human being.

So today, I propose a challenge. Treat yourself with the same love and respect that you give to your family, friends, pets, and love interests.

The people who care about YOU wouldn't want you being mean to yourself anyway.

<3 Madison

4 comments:

  1. Go, Madison, go! Where's the like button on this thing? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha thank you! I don't think I have a like button D: It would be awesome if I did though.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my god, i had the same thing happen to me, and i ended up emailing my wife who left for england, and now we're trying again, at least, we know we did love eachother, and it was only myself that was being tortured and torturing to express it, and she helped me realise that, we were just mirroring eachother's hurt egos, hehe, now it seems like one big misunderstanding, but at least it doesn't hurt as much and i feel like i can finally work on healing now, so that i can take care of my wife and daughter, because i want to, not because i feel like i have to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great! Good for both of you. :-)

    ReplyDelete