Friday, August 19, 2011

Bad days CAN get better

I woke up this morning and stubbornly convinced myself that today was going to be a bad day. I told myself that it would be one of those "wake me up when today is over" kind of days. First of all, I woke up to find a bug on my floor. If you know me, it goes without saying that I'm terrified of bugs. ALL bugs except for butterflies and ladybugs. So THAT automatically put me in a bad mood even though my brother picked it up and disposed of it for me. Because then I became all paranoid. "What if it was in my room all night? What if it crawled on me? What if it had babies? What if it comes back to life and hunts me down?" 

Second, my sink has been clogged for the past few days, which is a terrible nuisance for a compulsive dish washer like me. I like the sink to be CLEAR. But I couldn't wash all the dishes because I couldn't rinse them without the sink filling up and then taking 9 billion years to drain. AND I was very low on dish soap. Another nuisance. 

Third, I had a few incomplete writing assignments/projects that needed to be done and I didn't have an ounce of motivation in me at that point. So all I wanted to do was get on Twitter and listen to Pandora radio until the sun went down and it was time for bed. 

So I basically told myself that bad days don't get better. Once a day starts off bad, it all goes downhill from there. I made a mental list of everything that annoyed me, everything I was stressed out about, and everything that was ruining my day. Even though I was pretty much ruining my OWN day by doing so. 

But you know what? As I sit here looking back on my day as a whole, it wasn't so bad. Today was Christina Perri's 25th birthday and I celebrated by watching some of her YouTube videos, listening to her album, and reading her positive tweets/blog posts. Instant mood booster. AND I got off my butt and finished every writing activity that needed to be done and I did it with a positive attitude. My mom even came home to tell me that she "really really really really really" liked a story I wrote, which was one of the writing activities that I completed today. It made me happy because my inner critic told me it sucked. 

I played with my dogs. I saved a caterpillar's life. I watched the Alice in Wonderland movie for the first time. And most importantly, I changed my attitude and refused to have a bad day. I may have had a bad morning, but it's not fair to take it off on the other 8 hours of the day.

So today I learned that bad days CAN get better. Maybe with a song, maybe with a tweet, maybe with a nice compliment, maybe with cute puppies, maybe with an accomplishment, maybe with an epic movie, or maybe with a change in attitude. 

~ Madison :-) 




No comments:

Post a Comment