Saturday, August 27, 2011

Imagination is never a bad thing

I spent my Saturday night listing the things I loved/was obsessed with when I was younger. I sort of got to re-live my childhood and it made me really happy. I will share the list with you in a later post, but for now, I want to share something that got me thinking tonight. When I was little, I had an imaginary friend. Yep. I am no longer embarrassed to admit that.

I really hate when people make such a big deal out of kids having imaginary friends. I think it's wonderful. This is a bit of an unpopular opinion, but I don't care. I understand that parents want their kids to be socialized and have real friends, but if a kid wants an imaginary friend, let them have one. (After all, imaginary friends are there for you whenever you want them to be.) Imagination should never be discouraged. My mom never discouraged me from having an imaginary friend. She played along and welcomed her into our home.

I've always been very imaginative. I still am to this very day. I believe that imagination shouldn't be discouraged because the kids who live in their own little world and have a big imagination are the kids who grow up to have creative, expressive careers. These are the writers, artists, actors, and musicians.

If you can create imaginary friends, alter egos, etc., you can create ART.

I was the weird kid. I was the outcast. I was the quiet, socially withdrawn girl. That's who I was and who I still am today (Since we're being honest). And I'm not ashamed.

Please excuse me while I go create characters, share my heart and soul through lyrics, inspire others, and pursue my writing dreams. I got my pen, my paper, and my big old imagination. Let's do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment